|AG Geschichte der
>(GN, Kirschner, Biologie) >Wolfschmidt Sternwarte (Homepage Wolfschmidt)
>AG Geschichte der Naturwissenschaft und Technik (GNT - Wolfschmidt)
|Hilfe - Suche|
The year 2012 is for Hamburg Observatory the 100th jubilee. It was built at its present location in Hamburg-Bergedorf between 1906 and 1912. The buildings mirror the architecture of that time, and the impressive collection of instruments form an important historical record of astronomical research. The whole ensemble was put under monument protection in 1996 due to its significance in cultural history. A highlight in Hamburg's history was the invention of the Schmidt Telescope around 1930.
But Astronomy started in Hamburg already with Tycho Brahe (1546-1601) in 1600, who stayed in Wandsbek Castle, at that time under Danish governement. In Baroque time, in the 18th Century, private astronomical observatories were erected. The School of Navigation in Hamburg was founded in 1749. Hamburg Observatory has also a longer tradition. It was founded by the fire fighter Johann Georg Repsold (1770-1830) in 1802, got a new building in 1825 and became a State Institute in 1833. In the 19th century positional astronomy, combined with a time service for navigation, played an important role, and the institute was well known in the astronomical world for its achievements. In the 20th century astrophysics started to play the dominant role.
The "Förderverein Hamburger Sternwarte" (Friends of Hamburg Observatory), founded in 1998, helps to open the observatory to the public by organising various events like lectures, guided tours, Long Nights of Museums, Day of the Open House, exhibitions, star gazing activities and cultural events (lyric moonlit nights, musical presentations).
The meeting is supported by the Schimank-Stiftung (grant)